Monday, January 28, 2008

my mind is a mosaic

Thoughts and ideas just jump around in my head like popcorn in a microwave. The trick is to get them to settle long enough to DO something with them! Towards that goal, I have recently purchased two books on making mosaics and have even gone so far as to purchase this really cool tool for cutting them. (The guy made it look so EASY!)
The "trick" seems to be in scoring the tile. If you don't score it deep enough you get the mess in the first photo. But I'm hoping that with more practice the tiles will break more evenly. See? The second try (or maybe that was the 3rd and 4th) resulted in almost straight lines. I haven't tried it on glass yet. Luckily there is an abundance of this light blue tile at my beck and call...all of which used to wrap around the bath tub. Well, not around the bath tub, but the walls. Oh you know! Tub enclosure?
I made a quick dash into a Home Depot today just to see if they had any interesting tiles and came up with these 4. Also discovered that you can buy 4" x 4" sheets of already cut (1/2 x 1/2 inch cute little guys), very pretty opaque tiles in lovely hues for $4.99 or thereabouts. I behaved myself and didn't buy any...today....but I'll remember them if I ever get inspired enough to settle on a design and an object on which to put it. I know it would help if I'd take a class...
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Connie said...

I read your post with interest, as mosaics is something I have wanted to try for some time, but just haven't taken the plunge. I want to make some stepping stones for my garden.
Did you know there is a good selection of mosaic tiles and supplies on Ebay? I especially like those made from broken china.

weeder1 said...

Hi Connie
I haven't looked at e-bay for tiles but if you live near a thrift shop or two you should be able to find several old china cups and plates to break up. Yard sales are also a good place to look for materials. What I need to find now is a teacher! ;>)

Anonymous said...

I have quite a stash of tiles (some from eBay, too) and broken china ready for a foray into mosaic.

My daydream is to have a mosaic-making party sometime when there's a warm, sunny saturday or sunday.

weeder1 said...

Me too Cathy!Me too!

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog (I forget what I was looking for now!) but I'm a mosaic obsessed person. I have detailed directions on how to make a mosaic on my website. Here's the link:

http://www.manicformosaics.com/servlet/the-template/HowToDoMosaics/Page

I love to talk mosaics so if anyone wants help, email me through my website. I'm addicted to mosaics!