Thursday, June 26, 2008

Darling deer

Hey! "Edit Html" works! The little word at the corner was "rich text". I didn't realize it was a "toggle"!

Ok then. On to the deer. This is Doereen. Doereen was visiting the dog and I whilst I read and the dog ate popcorn in the back yard a few weeks ago. Now Doereen has a baby. Its not much bigger than my cat but can run like the wind...I inadvertently got too close to it a few nights ago and it bolted with a bleat. Mama is very protective. She just looks at me with concern but she gets rather uppity when Phoebe-the-Dog is out. This evening I can see its tiny head peeking out from the same spot in the shrubbery so I am avoiding that area...and at the same time, lecturing Doereen because she has taken it upon herself to prune the potted plants NEXT TO THE HOUSE (she has 2.5 acres of stuff to dine on..at THIS address!) Yesterday the lovely potted abutelons became leafless sticks and today she took it upon herself to severely prune the Jacobinia.

Phoebe has to be content with her yard, which is bigger than what new houses come with these days, and the inside of the house. She ventures out into the "big" yard only after I scout for Doreen and don't find her. Phoebs thinks Doereen wants to play chase. Phoebe loves to be chased. Just try explaining the damage little pointy hooves can do, not to mention, a deer weighing about the same as the dog, could easily smush and pummel her...to a dog. Or a human..which may explain why "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" plays in my head every time I venture out. Before the baby, Doereen would come within 3' of Phoebe without a challenge. Thank goodness Phoebe understands the urgency in my voice when I tell her to get back in the house and Doereen seems to call it a semi truce when Phoebe decides to hide behind me instead.

I'd love to get a picture of the baby but that will have to wait. I just don't want to freak the little thing out and have it clatter through the gate (again) and head for the busy road...which it didn't do, thank you very much Doereen for jumping the fence and leading the kid to safety. Of course, I had to leave the gate open all night so that Baby could easily follow mama back into the yard. I remember how lambs and ewes could find the tiniest hole in the fence to some neighbor's hay field but then could never find the hole OR the big open gate to go back home when discovered. I suspect deer are similar in their thinking.

Gotta go turn off two sprinklers. I left one on last night and didn't remember it until 4:00 this morning. My water bill will resemble the National Debt. Toodles~
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yay! I'm glad you figured out the photo problem.

I love your deer story. Our neighborhood is so clean and "perfect" we have no deer, and I miss that, despite our uneaten plants. We always had some wandering around the Eugene neighborhoods... of course we lived up in the woodsier hills at the time. I guess deer didn't go down to the flat neighborhoods in Eugene, either.

Strangely, we DO have coyotes. They leave the azaleas alone, but they eat small dogs...