Tuesday, May 29, 2007

back to the dog vomit slime mold...

After a week it looked like this. It appears that the snails have trod (slod?)over it a time or two also.
When water is poured on it it "smokes". Clouds of chocolaty brown spoore(S?) waft up. I don't know why it (the slime mold) only pops up here and there, willy nilly. It seems to appear on decaying wood chips and /or compost piles but not always. I have not been able to determine a pattern to its sudden appearance. This photo is of an older specimen than the one above. (oi! what a lousy sentence is that! Spelling has gone to heck in a hand basket too. I'm blaming it on an hour's worth of mowing this evening followed by a biggish bowl of ice cream. I think I'll go to bed now. urgh.)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Deborah Verhoeven said...

Ewwww! I hope that stuff doesn't start eating everyone in the neighborhood ;-)