Sunday, February 03, 2008

Hellebore

I don't understand. Both my late mother and the current Sunset Western Garden Book (said) say not to disturb Helebores, that "they resent moving and may take 2 or 3 more years to re-establish (if they survive at all)." This one blooming merrily away in a pot was dug up and potted last Spring. It does not appear to be perturbed to me.
This one I had dug up last fall with the intention of potting it for my son. In fact, I did dig it up, cut off a big chunk, potted that, and plopped this one back into the hole it came out of. Note: It is blooming. Another note: Mark's is blooming IN HIS GARAGE in Portland!
I have moved, divided, given away, and potted these plants (I have a pinkish variety too) several times over the past ten years and have never known them to resent the intrusion. I don't understand.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: